Friday, April 23, 2010

Miriam's Birthday

…Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Miriam, happy birthday to you!! Blow out the candles Miriam!!

Miriam lives with her mother, papa and an older brother outside a tiny village on the Serengeti. They live in relatively safe haven, given the natural dangers that lurk throughout this grassland. They share land with a nearby group of researchers who observe and track exotic animals which dot this, sometimes, unforgiving terrain.

Miriam is 2-years old today and her family has thrown her a birthday party.

Yeah Miriam, blow out the candles, her older brother Galeel snickered. Miriam jumped as high as she could. She huffed and puffed and grunted with each leap. No matter how hard she tried she just couldn’t reach the top of the cake. Trying to mask her frustration and embarrassment, she kept trying, fearing even more teasing from Galeel.

Miriam is, as one might say, a vertically challenged young lady. Most would call her short. Typically, not the worst dilemma that a young lady could face but, when you’re a giraffe, it’s a major shortcoming…so to speak.

Galeel roared with laughter as he stepped up to the cake and effortlessly blew out Miriam’s candles. Galeel!! Mother scolded. That’s enough young man! Papa reprimanded.

No one in the herd quite knew how or why poor Miriam was underdeveloped. Even though her papa loved her dearly, he sometimes felt a hint of embarrassment. Anytime his buddies brought it up, he quickly changed the subject. If her mother felt the same, she never let on.

Galeel, on the other hand, made no such attempt to hide his feelings on the subject. After all, he is a typical older brother. Being as such, his favorite pastime was making sport of his younger sister.

Miriam kicked Galeel in the shin and ran away crying. She felt terribly embarrassed and wanted to hide away forever. She often felt like running away but she knew how dangerous the grassland was, especially so for a runt like her.

Galeel! Go apologize to your sister right this minute, mother demanded. Why? She IS short, Galeel insisted, trying to justify his teasing. She won’t be short forever and, even so, it’s no excuse for bad behavior, mother explained. Papa interjected. And, because your mother said so young man…don’t back-talk.

Galeel walked to a nearby stream where he found his sister, sobbing. I’m sorry Miriam, I was just playing. Everyone teases me, Miriam sobbed. I’m short!! What if I never grow any taller? Miriam’s voice trembled. Look at the bright side, Galeel began. Maybe you could join the circus. Miriam sobbed even louder.

Galeel!! Papa yelled from a distance, do as your mother said, he scolded. Will you pipe down Miriam? I’m only joking. Galeel loudly whispered anything to make his sister stop crying. He knew that if she didn’t, he’d be in big trouble.

Just leave me alone Galeel! Miriam snapped. I wanna be alone for a while and you really hurt my feelings. Okay look, I’m sorry Miriam. Galeel tried his best to smooth things over, for he knew what trouble awaited from mother and papa if Miriam didn’t stop crying. Go away! She demanded.

Later, the herd feasted on leaves and tree branches near the stream. The sounds of crunching limbs and leaves echoed through the glen, only interrupted by conversation about the day‘s events. Some talked about the news, others just gossiped.

Miriam snacked on the small growth near the bottom of a tree. Her mother snapped branches from above and tossed them down to Miriam, making sure that she’d have plenty to eat. Nearby, a few of Miriam’s school-mates quietly teased and snickered.

How was she ever to fit in? she wondered. Her school-mates were twice her size! She hung her head low. Are you done eating Miriam? Mother asked. Yes mother…I’m not too hungry tonight. Don’t pay attention to the others Miriam, her mother comforted. One day you’ll grow up to be big and tall and then you’ll show them; you‘re a beautiful young lady my dear. What if I don’t mother? It doesn’t matter, her mother assured. But I’m a giraffe, I‘m supposed to be tall! Miriam implored.

Sweetheart, even if you don’t grow tall like the others, that doesn’t make you weak or a lesser giraffe, her mother explained. It’s easy to lay back and give up because of what you find to be a weakness; recognizing strengths among weaknesses makes one stronger. Worrying won’t make you grow tall dear, it will only bury the strengths that are just waiting to come out. Use your mind; your mind can be taller than any giraffe in the world.

Miriam listened intently to her mother. Miriam, your mind can hold you back if you let it, it can make you shorter as a matter of fact. It seems so hopeless, Miriam sighed. Only if you allow it to do so sweetheart.

Later that evening the herd settled in for sleep near the barn. Two of the Serengeti researchers made their rounds, surveying the group. She’s not grown at all in the past three weeks, one of the researchers observed. Yeah, I saw her chart. I’ve never seen this before, his colleague added. Just keep an eye on her.

Miriam leaned her head against a tree, a tear trickled down her face.
How come THEY don’t get in trouble for calling you short, Galeel whispered. Shut up and go to sleep Galeel! Miriam snapped.

Late that night, long after the herd had gone to sleep, Miriam decided that she’d endured enough ridicule. She resolved that she’d never grow taller and had finally grown utterly weary of the embarrassment that she’d brought to her family.

She crept past the sleeping herd, cautiously crossing the tiny stream until she reached the other side. Miriam looked back to the herd. The midnight moon hung brightly above as she slowly turned away, her head hung low.

The Serengeti grew opaquely dark as the bright midnight moon disappeared into the depths of night. Strange noises rang from every direction near and far. Miriam was frightened and she was miles from home.

She’d always heard of the dangers that lurked beyond the stream. Miriam began to second guess her decision. She hid in a nearby cluster of trees, barely able to hold her eyes open from the journey. She leaned against a tree and finally fell asleep.

Oh my! A voice pierced the tranquility of a beautiful grassland sunrise. Miriam snapped to attention. The voice was that of one of Africa’s most despised hunters. A jackal! Typically, the Jackal hunts in packs, making smaller prey its primary menu choice. A most formidable predator to the runts of the grasslands; an unfortunate situation for Miriam. This must be my lucky day! The jackal gleamed.

Where’s your herd little one? The Jackal asked. I don’t know…I ran away from home, Miriam nervously replied. Ran away? Are you completely mad? Do you have any idea what any number of beasts could do to you out here…myself included?? The Jackal slowly inched closer to Miriam with each passing word, licking his lips, saliva dripped from his fangs. I could snap your tiny little legs right now and feast on you for hours little one.

Miriam trembled, looking down at the beast; her face stricken with fear. She was paralyzed. She knew that she couldn’t outrun this wild dog and she was miles from home anyway. Knowing that she had no place to run, she began to cry, she pleaded with the Jackal. Please, please, please? Please don’t hurt me!! She begged.

Oh dear. The Jackal wryly dismissed. Just what I need this morning, a sobbing dwarf giraffe. Not to worry my little morsel. Fortunately for you I’m in a good mood…and I’m full. Plus, you have bigger worries, the Jackal continued. Miriam dried her eyes. What worries?? I know where your herd dwells my sweet, as does a pride of lions. They plan to invade soon.

What?? How do you know? Miriam implored. My pack trails them; we get the sloppy leftovers that they leave behind, the Jackal assured. I must warn them! Miriam exclaimed. But I don’t know where I am, much less how to get back. Miriam’s heart sank.

Well, looking at the size of you, it’s most certainly unwise to set out again on your own young lady, the Jackal warned. I must tell the herd Jackal; can you help me? Little miss, I’m not a tour guide and, in case you haven’t noticed, I’m a scavenger. The researchers near the village would trap me for sure.

Miriam’s eyes welled with tears. Please help me Jackal…please? She begged.

The Jackal sulked for a moment, grumbling to himself, his words barely audible. Miriam gazed at him with wide, pleading, eyes. Oh…alright, but just this once, he grudgingly agreed. Great! Miriam jumped up and down, screaming with joy. Will you pipe down young lady? I suspect the last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself out here, the jackal reprimanded. Oh, yeah, sorry jackal. Dear me, what am I doing? The Jackal sighed.

My name’s Miriam, what’s your’s? Jeremy. Jeremy the Jackal?? Miriam giggled. Young lady, are you sure you’re in any position to be poking fun? I’m sorry Jeremy; it‘s a delightful name, thank you for your help.

Miriam and Jeremy set out toward the stream where she and the herd lived. So, how can the pride invade our sanctuary? The caretakers and researchers are there. They’ve been watching your herd; this pride is a crafty, nasty group. You’re caretakers always leave on Saturday for three hours; the pride knows it, Jeremy explained. Oh dear, Miriam panicked. Please, let’s hurry Jeremy…today is Saturday!!

Suddenly, a scream rang from the distance. Heeeelp! Jeremy and Miriam moved closer, trying to locate the source of the distress call that had interrupted their conversation. There, near a clearing, was a zebra. The zebra looked peculiar to them both.

Dear me! Jeremy exclaimed. Miriam stared in amazement. Directly ahead they spotted a zebra with only TWO black stripes. His hind leg was ensnared in a poacher’s trap. Please help me! The zebra begged. Oh my, the lions will make quick business out of this poor lad, Jeremy assured. What do you mean?? Miriam shouted. I mean that with all of this screaming, they’ll surely hear him and it wont take long for one of the scouts to find him. We must move on, Jeremy warned.

Nooo! We have to help him Jeremy! Young miss, he’s a goner, better him than you Miriam. I’m not leaving him, Miriam insisted. Well then, you stay behind and you’ll both become a double treat for the pride…then I’ll be here to clean up the leftovers. Jeremy walked away. He grumbled and mumbled with frustration as he moved further away. Looking back, he noticed Miriam trying desperately to bite the wire that had caught the zebra’s hind leg.

Why? Why? Why me? Jeremy sighed before returning to the trap. Young miss, you’ll never be able to break that wire…you’re teeth aren’t nearly sharp enough, Jeremy assured. Yours are, Miriam shot Jeremy a hopeful look. Jeremy grudgingly stared at Miriam, then to the wire around the zebra’s leg. In a split second, he pounced to the trap. Get out of the way dear, he demanded.

Jeremy sank his teeth into the wire, gnashing furiously. Careful, careful!!! The zebra panicked. Oh, be quiet, Jeremy scolded. Suddenly, the wire snapped and the zebra was free.

The zebra leaped to his feet and galloped in circles, screaming wildly. I’m free! I’m free! Thank you so much jackal! The name’s Jeremy…and you’re welcome zebra. Now, off you go…go on now, Jeremy commanded.

The odd looking zebra stopped the celebration dance dead in his tracks. His face turned sad as he lowered his head. I don’t know where to go, he sighed. What do you mean? Jeremy quizzed. I’m lost, I ran away from home. Jeremy looked to the heavens. TWO in one day, how did I ever become so lucky?

Miriam interrupted. Why did you run away? Look at me, I’m a zebra…with only two stripes. Everyone made fun of me so I ran away; I couldn’t take it anymore.

I’m Miriam, what’s your name zebra? It’s Nathan. Well Nathan, pleased to meet you; this is Jeremy. Nice to meet you both. Jeremy grumbled. Miriam snickered, nudging her head toward Jeremy; he’s a lot nicer than he seems Nathan. Can we go now? Jeremy impatiently begged. The pride won’t be far behind.

Pride? What pride? Nathan frantically asked. There’s a pride of lions planning to invade my village near the stream, Miriam replied. Come with us Nathan; the caretakers will protect you and they can probably help you get back to your herd.

The caretakers won’t be able to do a thing if we keep wasting time standing out here, Jeremy interrupted. Jeremy is correct, we need to get moving, Miriam concurred.

Jeremy, Miriam and Nathan began their trek toward the village; Jeremy led the way as Miriam and Nathan trailed shortly behind. I ran away too, Miriam began. How come? Look at me, I’m a giraffe…a short giraffe. Well, how do you think I feel looking like an incomplete zebra? TWO stripes!! They all make fun of me! Nathan lamented.

What do your parents say about it…about you looking different that is, Miriam pried. They tell me that it doesn’t matter, that I have so many other qualities and that I should focus on them and pay no attention to the teasing. How about your parents? Pretty much the same, Miriam sighed.

A few moments passed when Nathan broke the silence. What qualities? Miriam looked puzzled. What qualities do you possess? Nathan clarified. My parents tell me that I’m smart. I mean, I make good grades in school but I HATE school because I get teased all the time, Miriam replied.

How bout’ you? What qualities do your parents point out? Miriam asked. I’m faster than any other zebra in our herd. I suppose I had to be fast; I get beat up a lot in school so I have to run from the bullies all the time, Nathan hung his head in shame.

Well Mr. Nathan, I think your two stripes are simply delightful…it gives you character, Miriam smiled. Nathan blushed.

Jeremy stopped and glared back with disgust. If you two are finished making me nauseous, we’re coming up on the village. The pride is nearby, there‘s no time to waste. How do you know Jeremy? Miriam quizzed. I see my pack in the distance, over there, near the stream.

Miriam had a brainstorm. Oh! I just remembered something. Miriam danced and jumped anxiously with joy and triumph. Will you stop that? Jeremy scolded. We don’t need to draw attention! Miriam collected herself. Oh, sorry, you’re right. She began to explain the reason for her joy. The caretakers ALWAYS leave the giraffe barn open during the day, even when they leave. All we have to do is warn the others and get them to the barn. Then we lock the door behind us…problem solved. Very well, Jeremy dismissed, let’s get going.

Jeremy lead the way as Miriam and Nathan galloped behind. They approached the herd when Miriam immediately spotted her family. Miriam’s mother and papa raced toward her. MIRIAM! Where have you been?? Her parents were relieved to see that Miriam was safe.

Mother, papa, I’m fine…I was tired of bringing you such embarrassment so I ran away. I know it was wrong; I’m sorry papa, I’m sorry mother.

Ahem! Jeremy grew impatient. Who is THIS? Papa asked. Oh, this is Jeremy, thanks to him I found my way home. And this is Nathan. Jeremy interrupted…Yes, yes, we’re all pleased to meet, perhaps we’ll have tea soon. Miriam, there is a rather urgent task at hand, Jeremy reminded.

Oh my, yes! Miriam refocused. Mother, papa, we have to warn the herd and get them to the barn. Why? What’s wrong dear? Miriam’s mother quizzed. Jeremy and Miriam explained the imminent danger that inched closer to the village and urged that it was time to get to the giraffe barn.

Word raced through the herd. Jeremy, Miriam and Nathan canvassed the pasture, warning all. A frantic stampede of giraffe bolted directly toward the barn.

The pride of lions slowly emerged from a distant bluff. They noticed the activity and began to charge rapidly toward the herd. They’re here! Jeremy yelled. The herd continued their mad stampede when suddenly, one after another, they came to a screeching halt.

Oh dear! Miriam shrieked. The top portion of the door was closed. Jeremy, there’s no way the giraffe can bend down far enough!! Nathan frantically yelped. The pride closed in, disaster loomed. Nathan knew that a diversion was needed, quickly. You two, figure something out, fast! Nathan yelled as he turned and ran directly toward the pride. Nathan!! NO! Miriam begged. Get that door open Miriam! Nathan yelled back.

Nathan zigged and zagged directly in front of the pride. The lions diverted their charge toward the herd, turning their attention to Nathan. Miriam looked back in horror. Jeremy, we’ve got to help him! She begged. Jeremy knew that Nathan was in big trouble. He looked up to Miriam and again back to Nathan. He sighed. You get this herd in the barn! Jeremy charged away toward the pride. He ran opposite from Nathan, drawing two of the pride away.

Miriam darted under the barn door. Her head barely cleared but, thanks to her height, or lack thereof, she made it to the other side. She looked up to the upper door latch; it was just out of reach! She jumped as high as she could, barely missing the latch with her nose. She jumped again, and again. Finally, with one frantic jump, her horn caught the trip latch. The door swung open and, in an instant, the herd raced inside to safety.

Close the door! The herd elder yelled. NO! Miriam screamed. She looked toward the stream, watching as Jeremy and Nathan scrambled among the pride, splitting them in half. Nathan…get to the barn!! Jeremy yelled.

Both Nathan and Jeremy raced as fast as they could toward the barn. Nathan, with his mighty speed, outpaced the pride but Jeremy wasn’t as fast. The pride closed in quickly on the jackal. Jeremy knew that he was in big trouble. Nathan glanced back, knowing that Jeremy wouldn’t last much longer. He slowed his pace and yelled to Jeremy. RUN TO ME JEREMY! JUMP ON MY BACK!

Jeremy bounded as hard as he could, the lead lion steadfast on his heels. Finally, he came within yards of Nathan and leaped as high and mighty as he could. If he missed, the game was over. He would surely die. He soared through the air as the terrified herd watched through the barn door. Miriam’s mother turned her head, she was too nerve racked to watch. Jeremy landed squarely on Nathan’s back.

Hold on! Nathan yelled. Nathan picked up his pace to lightning speed toward the barn. The pride closed in rapidly and unrelentingly. Get ready to lock the bottom door! Jeremy yelled ahead.

Nathan cleared the threshold, only seconds remained before the pride would surely make it to the door. In an instant, one of the herd nudged the door, Jeremy flew from Nathan’s back, grabbing the latch and using his weight to pull the lever. The lever squeaked and creaked, slowly falling downward. Finally, the door latched securely.

Outside, the pride of lions pounded the door. Gnashing, roaring and pawing wildly at the door. The front wall shook violently as they tried with all their might to break the stronghold.

The sound of gunfire suddenly rang loudly from outside. A bevy of jeeps raced wildly to the front of the barn, encircling the pride. The pride, being spooked and knowing that the caretakers would surely tranquilize them, ran in fear. Retreat. The herd had been saved.

Sunday afternoon was absolutely delightful in the Serengeti. The sun shone brightly at such an angle that one could almost see each and every blade of grass across the sprawling expanse.

In a nearby cluster of trees the herd had gathered for a celebration feast. A toast was given to three, unlikely, heroes. It was also a special occasion of another sort. Today was Jeremy the jackal’s birthday.

Miriam’s mother looked down and smiled at her precious little girl. I told you that dwelling on things can do nothing but hold one back. Your mind, not others or what they think, is the only barrier. You figured out how to break through the wall that held you back. You saved our herd, and your two friends. I’m proud of you Miriam. You figured out how to turn your size into a strength.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Jeremy, happy birthday to you!! The herd sang loudly, as did Nathan. The cake was hoisted to a nearby branch.

Oh, stop it! Is this really necessary?? Jeremy grumpily dismissed. Will you smile for once? Nathan prodded the Jackal. Jeremy glared at Miriam and then to Nathan. He sat for a moment as the herd stared with anticipation deeply on their faces.

Miriam scooped Jeremy up with her head and raised him to the branch. Blow out your candles Jeremy!! Nathan shouted. The herd stood, anxiously silent, with all eyes focused on the grumpy little jackal perched atop Miriam’s head.

For goodness sakes, OK!! Jeremy flashed a colossal smile for a split second before blowing out the candles. The heard roared as Jeremy quickly replaced the smile with his typical scowl. Don’t tell my pack; we’re supposed to be mean and scary looking you know? Jeremy quipped.

The group feasted and danced the afternoon away, celebrating Jeremy’s birthday, and the deeds of three heroes. A smart little giraffe who was short enough to rise to heights of a different measure, a lightning fast two striped zebra who gained his strength and speed by running from ridicule. And, a very grumpy, but warm hearted, jackal.

Heroes because they broke through stereotypes, shortcomings and enormous odds to make impossible…possible

copyright Pontchartrain Press 2010

Author's note: This was written as a birthday present for someone who is very special to me. A person who believes in my work and who was a tremendous sounding board as I put finishing touches on my book and began writing a short children's series. She was a great editor. A friend indeed.